Posts tagged Awesome
Posts tagged Awesome
In medieval culture, an event like a royal christening is not a private party; it’s the public social event of the year. To not invite any person of rank to such an event is a deadly insult.
Maleficent is certainly someone you wouldn’t want at a party, but she’s also someone powerful enough that only a fool would ever dare treat her with such blatant disrespect. The only way the King and Queen could possibly have gotten away with not inviting Maleficent was to not invite any of the fairies at all; inviting the other fairies and excluding her is explicitly taking sides in the conflict between the fairy factions.
Which means they made themselves her sworn enemies, and she responded by treating them as such from then on. If you actually get into analyzing the social dynamics of the scene, it’s very clear that Maleficent was willing to show mercy at first by giving the King and Queen a chance to apologize for their disrespect to her. She doesn’t curse Aurora until after she gives them that chance and they throw it back in her face with further disrespect.
And yeah, if the King and Queen had done the properly respectful thing and invited her, Maleficent would have given Aurora a scary awesome present. Moreover so would the other fairies, because at that point both sides would be using it as an opportunity to show off and one-up each other. What they gave her before Maleficent showed up was basically just trivial party favors by fairy standards.
How do you know so much about the social dynamics of medieval fairies
That’s kind of awesome.
The Poet At Obama’s Second Inaugural Will Be Gay And Latino. Richard Blanco will serve as the inaugural poet at the swearing-in ceremony on Monday, January 21, a selection that’s historic on a number of levels: He will be the youngest poet, as well as the first Latino and first LGBT person, to recite a composition during the ceremony.
Pity I don’t tweet, because I’d look damn fabulous in that second one.
Famous Last Words:
- Pardon me, sir. I did not do it on purpose. - Queen Marie Antoinette after she accidentally stepped on the foot of her executioner as she went to the guillotine.
- I can’t sleep. - J. M. Barrie, author of Peter Pan
- I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis. - Humphrey Bogart
- I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct. - Dominique Bouhours, famous French grammarian
- I live! - Roman Emperor, as he was being murdered by his own soldiers.
- Dammit…Don’t you dare ask God to help me. - Joan Crawford to her housekeeper who began to pray aloud.
- I am perplexed. Satan Get Out. - Aleister Crowley – famous occultist.
- Now why did I do that? - General William Erskine, after he jumped from a window in Lisbon, Portugal in 1813.
- Hey, fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow’s paper? ‘French Fries’! - James French, a convicted murderer, was sentenced to the electric chair. He shouted these words to members of the press who were to witness his execution
- Bugger Bognor. - King George V whose physician had suggested that he relax at his seaside palace in Bognor Regis.
- It’s stopped. - Joseph Henry Green, upon checking his own pulse
- LSD, 100 micrograms I.M. - Aldous Huxley (Author) to his wife. She obliged and he was injected twice before his death.
- You have won, O Galilean. - Emperor Julian, having attempted to reverse the official endorsement of Christianity by the Roman Empire.
- No, you certainly can’t. - John F. Kennedy in reply to Nellie Connally, wife of Governor John Connelly, commenting “You certainly can’t say that the people of Dallas haven’t given you a nice welcome, Mr. President.
- I feel ill. Call the doctors. - Mao Zedong (Chairman of China)
- Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here. - Nostradamus
- Hurry up, you Hoosier bastard, I could kill ten men while you’re fooling around! - Carl Panzram, serial killer, shortly before he was executed by hanging.
- Put out the bloody cigarette!! - Saki, to a fellow officer while in a trench during World War One, for fear the smoke would give away their positions. He was then shot by a German sniper who had heard the remark.
- Please don’t let me fall. - Mary Surratt, before being hanged for her part in the conspiracy to assassinate President Lincoln. She was the first woman executed by the United States federal government.
- Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies. - Voltaire when asked by a priest to renounce Satan.
Fashion has always been pushed as a younger person’s game. Over the years it has been tailored to young women’s bodies with low body fat, perky body parts, and the naivety that comes with youth. But due in part to the rise of street style blogs and books over the past decade (and also perhaps because of that photo of Helen Mirren in a bikini), a new generation of women are becoming the fashion industry’s most inspiring icons.
Advanced Style, a street style blog by Ari Seth Cohen, captures men and women of a certain age in New York City. Their styles range from demure and dapper to over-the-top eccentric. (Feathery orange false eyelashes, anyone?) These vivacious risk-takers and unapologetic genteels have created a forward-thinking and unrestrained clothing community, perhaps the most inspiring in street style culture.
More photos from Advanced Style. Fierce as fuck.
Paper mache Dragon.. FTW!
“Wow! Magnificent Maleficent paper mache “trophy” by Dan the Monster-man”
Let me tell you about this woman.
I saw her walking down the stairs and away from the convention center on Sunday at Anime Expo. For those of you who do not know, she’s cosplaying as Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle. I asked to take her picture and she happily complied. After, she told us that it’s hard to her to find cosplays because she’s in her eighties.
This woman is over 80 years old and she’s cosplaying, going to conventions, and being amazing. I want to be like her when I grow old. She was so sweet and my friend and I almost cried. I wish I gave her a hug.
Props to this wonderful woman for her wonderful cosplay and time.
“Man Kaur, aged 95, of Chandigarh took up running under the encouragement of her son, 72-year-old Gurdev Singh. Last year in Sacramento she received two gold medals in the 90+ age group in the 100m and 200m events. While not a marathoner, it is still an amazing achievement by an amazing woman.”
lol nerdfighter question
To be fair, if anyone could do something to further the development of puppy sized elephants, it’d be Obama.
Puppy Sized Elephant!!!